Dear St. Luke Families:
We have had a great start to the 2019-20 school year! Here are a few items to keep you informed as we continue to settle into our routines:
OPEN HOUSE POSTPONED TO WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25TH, 5:30-7:00 PM
Due to an unexpected increase in student enrolment, we will be increasing our staffing and reducing some class sizes. We will be reorganizing several classes in the coming days and sending home more detailed communication to parents of students involved in the changes. These changes will be positive for our students and their learning, and we look forward to your support while we go through this transition. Because we may not have these changes finalized by this Wednesday, we have decided to postpone our Open House to Wednesday, September 25th from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you then!
FIRST DAY PACKAGES
If you have not yet returned the important forms that were included in the first day package, please do so as soon as possible. Thank you!
If your child is going to be late or absent, please call the office before 8:20 a.m. Your call can be made 24 hours a day: 519-884-4912.
There have been some problems with the delivery of student agendas this year. The problems have affected all boards in the province. We have received our Primary agendas but we are still waiting for Junior and Intermediate agendas. We hope they arrive soon!
Our first P.A. Day of the school year is on Friday, September 20th. Our staff will be working on School Improvement Planning as well as Assessment and Evaluation.
THE UMBRELLA PROJECT
We are in Year 2 of The Umbrella Project. In September, we are practicing ‘Being a Welcoming Friend’. The October umbrella skill is ‘Empathy’. We are excited to keep building our umbrella skills to promote resilience! Parents, please check out the new website (https://umbrellaproject.co/) and the “For Parents” tab.
NEWS FROM ST. AGNES PARISH
Registration is up and running on the parish website for First Communion and Confirmation.
Our parish youth choir is searching for new members in Grades 2 to 8. Practices are Thursdays, 6-7 p.m. The choir sings at the 9 a.m. mass every other weekend.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church at (519) 885-4480.
Student safety is of primary importance to all members of the St. Luke community. Although we encourage all students who don’t qualify for bussing to walk to school, the following are the guidelines that we expect of all parents/caregivers who drive students:
- Parking lot use, both in front of and at the side of the school, is restricted to those who are coming into the school to volunteer, for a meeting, signing students in or out.
- The roadway in front of the school by the dumpsters and daycare is only for families with students in JK – Gr. 1 using the “Kiss and Drop”. No other families should be using this area for drop off.
- The barrier free parking spots at the side lot of the school are for vehicles displaying the appropriate pass allowing them to park there. They are not to be used as a drop off spot.
- Follow the signs posted in front of the school and on the streets.
- Please do not park in front of the buses. This causes delays and can be dangerous for our students.
- Please do not block the area where the bus for special transportation loads and unloads.
Be advised that the City of Waterloo Bylaw office has the authority to come onto our property to ticket anyone in contravention of the posted bylaws. Waterloo Regional Police have been present in the neighbourhood and stopping/ticketing drivers for not obeying signs and posted speed limits. We have also received complaints from our neighbours on Chesapeake about drivers blocking, parking in, or making three-point turns in their driveways. Please help us to keep safety as our number one priority and to be respectful to our neighbours.